Do you need an exit strategy? If you understand the basics of business or investments, you know that you should always have an exit strategy; a plan to make sure you get the most out of your assets when you sell or close the business or investment.
As an employee, “YOU” are your most important asset. You need to be in control of your own career, on your own terms. A career exit strategy is simply being prepared as you would be regarding any other situation. As an employee within any company today, you are at risk of experiencing the elimination of your position due to downsizing, realignment or even bankruptcy.
Being prepared with an exit strategy could save you a great deal of time, cost, stress and frustration. So start now and create your exit strategy to assist in the advancement of your career.
Here are six proven tactics to consider when creating your exit strategy:
- Regularly document accomplishments and challenges and keep your resume updated.
- Attend professional conferences and maintain your network of contacts.
- Stay positive and avoid the rumour mill about the potential for “disaster” within the company.
- Know what you want to learn, set goals and take advantage of any in-house training courses.
- Follow industry trends, staying in the loop with companies generating profits.
- Practice interviewing, keep your skills sharp and apply for jobs while employed.
Creating and committing to a career exit strategy will ensure you are prepared for whatever comes your way and keep you on a positive path to success.