The way you look speaks volumes about you, before you even begin your elevator pitch or introduction. Make sure you follow a few simple rules to ensure that you are dressed to impress your hiring influencers at a job interview.
- Ask an insider. Whether it’s someone you know at the company, a recruiter, or even the hiring influencer contacting you about the interview, it’s always appropriate to ask about the company dress code. A C-suite or higher position always requires a formal suit, without question.
- Dress professionally. Casual Fridays and other dress code holidays do not pertain to job candidates. You want to make the best possible impression, and dressing better than the job requires, makes a very good impression.
- Conservative accessories. Tone down jewelry, make up, hairstyles, and even nail polish.
- Clean and neat. From your hair to your toenails, make sure you are neat, clean shaven, and smell clean, but not overpowering. Leave the cologne or perfume behind, or use a very light hand when applying. The last thing you want to do is trigger a hiring influencer’s allergies or asthma!
- Don’t forget to smile! A warm and a firm complete your great first impression at any interview!